"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Reflections...


Life is getting a bit hectic and crazy as I scramble around and try to get everything done before I leave. Last weekend I attended the Missions Conference at First Presbyterian Church at Fort Oglethorpe, GA. The conference was encouraging and a good experience as I head off to the field. The speakers reminded my heart of the refuge and rest that the Gospel of grace offers because I no longer have to strive to prove myself. One missionary said "God doesn't demand us to do anything that His holiness does not already provide for us." What a promise. All of the rich blessings in Christ Jesus are mine to grasp including forgiveness. I can be honest with God and not afraid of His judgement or guilt because when He looks at me He sees Jesus' righteousness. I want these truths to provide me with peace and comfort as I go to a forgein land with a different culture. The next year seems a bit daunting to me because I feel so unprepared. My faith is weak. Yet it is a comfort to realize that when I board the plane God will not wave goodbye but He will get on the plane with me. He will not leave nor forsake me no matter how I feel or what I encounter in Taiwan. I do not want to forget that.


The church body at First Presbyterian was gracious, warming, and extremely kind. They are prayer warriors and it is incredibly encouraging to know that people are praying for me and for God's work at Christ's College.


I also had the opportunity to visit Chattanooga while I was at the conference. I stayed with my friend Harriet Bond. We had a good time catching up and praying for one another. I also was able to go and see Covenant College - my alma mater. The campus is changing dramatically with new building projects and lots of change. I had fun seeing my professors and Coach Duble, my soccer coach. I also saw some of my teammates that were freshmen when I was a senior and now they are seniors - wow how time flies!


Now, I have 9 days to get everything ready and in order before I leave. I am trying to cram in doctor's appointments, meetings with friends to say goodbye, and time with family. I am a bit overwhelmed but also finding time to enjoy each moment.


Two things that God has put on my heart: Do I enjoy Him? Why do I struggle with anxiety and worry so much? I will let you know what I discover about myself and my heart as I wrestle with these questions.

Until next time,

Amanda

No comments: