"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's a small world...

I have had two experiences recently that truly make this world feel small. One day I was shopping for clothes at a import/export store and found a jacket made by "Augusta Sportswear." I did a double take. It couldn't be, how did a jacket from the small clothing manufactuar in Augusta, GA (where my dad used to work many years ago) end up on an island literally across the world! And out of all the clothes in the store I saw it (and the store was huge!) Pretty cool experience.

Then just a couple of days ago a student named Veronica, Lori, and I were on the metro and we were talking. A guy came up to me - and I immediately knew he was an American - and asked where I got my Geogia Southern sweatshirt from. I told him that one of my sisters was an alum and another still there studying. He had grown up in Statesboro and was an alum and his father teaches physics at the university. If anyone knows anything about Statesboro it's a fairly small town and Southern isn't a huge school compared to other state schools. We were both pretty blown away by the situation. I was so surprised and couldn't wait to tell my sisters.

Although, I do feel far away from home I experience situations like these that remind me that we do live in a small world and who knows who or what I will encounter here! For example, I have met at least two Taiwanese that have visited and spent time in Aiken, South Carolina and in Augusta, Georgia (where and close to where I grew up). Pretty neat considered Taiwan's population is 23 million people.

Well, until next time...

2 comments:

andrewhudson said...

Nice to read it. Good work done. I love Augusta Sportswear.

Unknown said...

Alternative T Shirts Discount t shirts, sport shirts, mens , womens, infants, kids clothing, caps, workwear, bags, towels and blankets at Apparelchoice.com