"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I can say that this Christmas was very different and memorable than most holidays. Christmas is not celebrated in Taiwan so it was like any other day. I went to church with the Lyle's and Lori up to Yanmingshan to a small stone chapel. It was a beautiful service and then we mingled with the Taiwan International Church members and ate good food. I actually tried eating a kiwi with its skin on for the first time (I know this sounds gross but it was quite tasty!)

Even though I celebreated Christmas thousands of miles away from home it did not affect the meaning of Christmas. Preparing devotions every week about Christmas and talking with students about Jesus has actually helped prepare my heart for worshipping and thanking Jesus for what He did that lowly night. I was reminded in the homily on Christmas eve that when Jesus came to earth God was on earth in flesh. As John 1:14 says "No one has ever seen God but God the one and only who was at the Father's side has made Him known." That verse is one of my favorites because it sums up the Gospel and the incredible mystery and awe of our faith. Thinking about Christ's birth and the way it happened and who He was sends my mind and soul up to the "clouds of mystery" so fast I just have to rest in the faith that the Holy Spirit provides. This love that God has for us is overpowering and incredible. Right now during this holiday season I just want to rest and relax in these truths - I am loved no matter how much I fail. I am valued, sung over, and a part of the kingdom of God. Wow!

I got to see my entire family on the webcam and we opened presents. I miss them so much but it was good to see their faces and hear their voices. I got so many great gifts and cards from so many people this year. Thank you all for your love and support. The students also got into making cards and giving gifts. I received a cake, many cards, and pictures from students expressing their love and thanks. I am really beginning to become attached to some of these students. God is answering my prayer which is that I would begin to love them as He loves them.

Here are some pictures of Christmas dinner at the Lyle's (MTW missionaries) the church, and the fellowship afterwards.



Well, right now I am at Taroko Gorge spending some time enjoying Taiwan's incredible mountains and gorges. The Gorge is on the North Eastern part of Taiwan so we took a four hour train ride and a one hour bus ride to get to the gorge. We saw the Pacific ocean on our way and then incredible mountain ranges. Taiwan's landscape is so diverse. We arrived yesterday and are staying until Friday. Lori and I went on a walk through the gorge today. It is soooo beautiful and the pictures do not capture the magnitude of the landscape. Here are a few pictures.





So right now I am listening to the water fall outside my window in a very nice hotel in the middle of nature. This has been a good time of refreshment after a very busy few weeks. I hope everyone has a relaxing New Years and until next time...

No comments: