"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, March 27, 2008

An Adventure to the Mountains


There is a beautiful mountain in Taipei called Yangmingshan. I had the opportunity to spend time on the mountain top. I rode on a motorscooter up to the top with Becky White - another MTW missionary and teacher at Christ's College. We spent the afternoon riding up the windy roads I had not ridden on the back of a motorscooter for that long at one time and so I was a bit sore afterwards. But the ride was so much fun. I like motorscooters!!

When we reached the mountain we enjoyed picnicing and watching the water buffalo. During the early part of the 20th century the Japanese brought water buffalo up to the mountain. Why? Not sure but it's pretty cool to see huge buffalo on a mountainside and they are used to people so it's a good relationship!

The landscape was beautiful and we were able to hike around the mountain. Even though the city was 30 minutes away I felt that we were in a different country. It was a great time to relax, read, hike, and get away for an afternoon. Here is a picture of the water buffalo...


So this is a real water buffalo and I was about 5 feet from it. He was very focused on eating as you can see. But it did make me want to break out into one of my favorite Veggie Tales songs... "Oh, everyone has a water buffalo, mine is fast but yours is slow. Oh where'd we get them I don't know but everyone has a water buffalo ooooooooh."

Well, as the warmer weather and spring time sweeps into Taipei I know more water buffalo will be out among the mountainsides looking for good snacking spots.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I saw on facebook a while back that you were singing that veggie tales song, but I didn't understand why. Now I know. That is funny.