"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hey all!!!
I am setting up a blog so I can keep everyone uptodate on my trip to Taipei, Taiwan. I leave September 3rd which is less than three months from now. For those that do not know I am going to Taipei to teach and develop relationships with the students at Christ's College. The school was started in the 1950's by some American missionaries and now is run by national Taiwanese Christians. I will be working with the English department, mainly heading a writing center for students who need help with formal research papers, teaching conversational English, and developing relationships with the Chinese students, praying that God will allow for opportunities to disciple and be discipled. I want to list some FAQ's that people often ask me about my life now.

What are you doing right now as you wait to go to Taiwan?
I am currently living in Augusta, Georgia at my parents house and working at Target. I am gaining good work experience because they have allowed me to train in many different positions such as pharmacy tech, starbucks barista, and cash office staffer.

Weren't you going to Spain? What happened?
Yes. I was planning and raising support to go to Madrid, Spain for two years to do mission work. However, it had taken over two years to raise funds and I was still short a sufficient amount. After much prayer and counsel I decided to look into other fields. The opportunity in Taipei became available and I feel that it is a good fit.

Have you raised all your support that you need and do you have to raise everything that you will need for the year that you will be going?
I have raised all of the monthly and one time support that I will need to live and work in Taipei for a year. I needed to raise all of the money necessary to pay for everything that I will need and do in Taipei.

Why are you going to Taiwan on the mission field and not trying to pursue a career?
Many people wonder why I did not pursue a masters degree right after college or a stable job that would begin a career. Since a young teenager I have had a passion for world missions. As God has transformed my own heart and allowed me to see my perpetual need for Jesus and God's love I want the Gospel message to seep through my life in everything I do. I want to pursue a teaching career at the college level as well as gain experience in cross cultural missions. I do not think that these past three years have been a "waste" or dead time but time for God to prepare me for the future. I have met incredible people as I have raised support and worked at First Presbyterian Church in Chattanooga (2006) and at Target in Augusta. My time in Taiwan will be short but will be part of my life experience that God will use to transform me and remind me that I am His child.

How can I support you now?
Pray, pray, pray. I constantly forget who I belong to and the good news of the Gospel. I struggle with legalism and wanting to supplement the work of Jesus with my own works. I forget about the sweet drippings of grace. Pray for my soul and that God would remind me that I can't mess up His work because I am not that powerful or important!!! He wants to use me but doesn't need me. He loves me because He chooses to and wants to although I do not deserve it. I want to live out these truths daily. Pray for Christ's College and the upcoming school year. Pray for the students and the professors, for unity in Christ, and for the entire country of Taiwan.
If you would like to support me financially I would greatly appreciate it. Even though I have already reached my financial goals all support is welcome. You may email me at amandaintaiwan@gmail.com if you are interested.

Well, goodbye for now but I will be sharing my thoughts with you all soon.
- Amanda

1 comment:

j-me said...

Amanda,
I know this is an old post that I am comment to but I had some questions about the school you taught at. I visited the school once to see Gladys Aylward's grave (random I know). Do you have time to answer a few questions? May make more sense to continue this over email though.
Thanks,
Jamie