"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fake pretzels, pink crocs, and more

"Laughter is inner jogging" - Norman Cousins

Without laughter life would be as bland and boring as a hot fudge Sunday without the hot fudge. A funny moment happened at work last week. I was covering a girl's lunch break at Food Avenue - the concession area at Target. I thought I knew how to do most of the basic stuff like make the pizzas and get the popcorn. Well, the first guest asked for a pretzel and there is a case of pretzels displaying the different flavors and I thought I could open it and just give one to her - like the cookie case. So I tried pulling different ways and the case would not budge. The woman - who really wanted her pretzel - started trying to pry the thing open. Finally I went and got my coworker from Starbucks. I said - "Jenny how do you open this blasted pretzel case." Her face lit up and she just started cackling with laughter. I found out (after Jenny recovered) that the case was full of fake plastic pretzels. The real ones were in the back and I had to prepare them. Well, the company did a good job because I and the guest thought they were real! It was really funny. I was laughing, the guest was laughing, and Jenny had to go in the back and catch her breath. So all this to say be careful of the fake pretzels.

Another fun thing that I have discovered in the last year are crocs. They rock. Mine are not a usual color though. They are pink. If you know anything about me I am not a pink person. I think these crocs are the only piece of clothing/footwear that I own that is pink. They make me laugh and smile everytime I put them on. Sometimes when I am getting ready for church I will have a skirt and nice blouse on and then still have my crocs on my feet!!! Quite comical. I know one of these days I am going to forget to switch them before I leave. I will be sure to document that story!



For Father's Day my sisters thought it would be funny to get my dad the biggest tv remote they could find. This thing is huge. It is "lost" proof. My dad seems to always misplace the remote so we are hoping this will be the remedy. When he opened the gift he just started laughing and then said his famous "oh girls..." Silliness is something that my sisters bring to our family. Silliness is infectious and helps in times when stress surrounds me - like now with working and trying to get ready to leave for Taiwan in two months.


I will end this fun filled post with one of my favorite "silly songs." We used to sing this song on youth retreats. It is called Fried Ham.
Fried Ham, Fried Ham, Cheese and Bologna
And after the macaroni we'll have onions
Pickles and pretzels and then will have some more....
Fried ham, fried ham, fried ham.
Second verse same as the first, football accent getting worse.
(each verse comes with it's own fun-filled accent.)

Until next time -
Amanda

No comments: