"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lost in Translation

There is a movie called Lost in Translation and I have never seen it but I can definitely relate to the literal meaning of being "Lost in Translation." Most of the students and faculty cannot speak very good English and I speak the equivalent to a toddler's level of Chinese. So sometimes when I really want to tell someone something I try to find a person that knows both languages to be our translator. This can be quite comical sometimes and I have one story to share of how sounds and words have totally different meanings in different languages.

In the English Department there is a lady who cleans the offices and the room that I work in. She is always cheerful when I see her and works really hard. One day I really wanted to tell her that I appreciated her hard work and help. I figured that she didn't get much encouragement. However, I knew if I was to communicate this affectively I would need a translator because she speaks no English. (Although, when she sees me she usually starts speaking Chinese so fast that I sometimes doubt if she realy knows that I know no Chinese. I mean I don't look Chinese and everytime she waits for me to answer her I say "I don't speak Chinese" in English and make the shrug gesture! Somehow I don't think it is registering.) So I found one of the English professors that speaks great English and is a national Chinese. Her name is Sherry. So I told Sherry, "Can you tell Grace that I truly appreciate her hard work and the way she helps us so much." Grace (the "cleaning lady") said something to Sherry which made Sherry burst out laughing. As they were chattering and laughing in Chinese I felt a bit embarrassed. Had I offended Grace? Had I said something culturally inapproprate (which is always a fear of mine.) So I jumped in and said, "Sherry what is going on, what is so funny?" Well, apparently the word "appreciate" in English sounds like the Mandarin Chinese word for "leather shoes". When Grace heard me say appreciate she thought that I was going to give her leather shoes. (Just thinking about this makes me laugh). I started laughing and said "I don't even own leather shoes." I did offer her my Nikes but she declined! It was really funny. After we stopped laughing Sherry did finally translate my statement about thanking Grace for her attitude and services.

Sometimes being illiterate and having the speaking and understanding ability of a toddler gets wearying. However, I feel like I can either laugh or cry in situations where the language barrier becomes frustrating and tiring.

Until the next funny story (which I am sure will not be long)....

No comments: