"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Excursion to Lai Sai

This past Saturday I got up at the crack of dawn and headed down to the middle of Taiwan to a rural town called Lai Sai. Lai Sai was one of the town's that was hit very hard by an intense earthquake a few years ago. The rebuilding is still going on. The needs are great in this town and the group that I went with goes quarterly to visit, pray, and love the people and children of the town.

Since I cannot speak Taiwanese I helped with the children's program. We taught them the Christmas story in English. We helped them with crafts and games and just played with them. I made some great little friends. My favorite part was watching and helping them with the craft. Each child got a picture of a manger scene and as the story was told they put stickers of the characters on the picture. Almost all of the kids (even the boys) were so focused on putting each sticker in the perfect place. The were really enamoured with the project. I got a kick out of seeing their delight in such a simple thing.

Here are some pictures of the trip.



I enjoyed playing with the children and seeing a different side of Taiwan. The area of Lai Sai is rural and a much poorer area than Taipei.

Until next time...

No comments: