"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thoughts...

These past few weeks have been busy and full of opportunities to meet and get to know students. I will highlight a few that stick in my mind.
One of the students named Boris, who travels about an hour each way to get to school, is incredibly eager to improve his English. When he sees me he usually comes to me with a question like "Amanda, when do I use the word that in a sentence?" All to say that I am having to quickly improve my knowledge at English grammar. Evenmore, Boris comes once a week to get one-on-one tudoring and extra help with his school work. This past week we got into a deep discussion about his faith. He shared some things he was wrestling with about his faith and how the Lord's love is so mysterious. I just listened as this guy expressed his longing to know our God more and more. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to walk along students such as Boris as God molds them into more like Jesus.
Another cool experience is that I had the chance to teach two weeks ago. My first time teaching! I was a bit nervous but I have to say that it was really fun. I am growing attached to the students in these classes. I am helping with the English Pronunciation Classes which consists of the students who have a lot of trouble learning English. I love it. I am getting to know some of the students and they are really a delight like Esther, who every time she sees me has a great big smile on her face and makes sure to get my attention. Or Ray, who seems like a "tough" guy that would not want anything to do with learning pronunciation but is really coming out of his shell and is trying more and more.
So this month has been a time of cultivating and developing relationships with the students and making more friends.

Until next time...

No comments: