"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Attempting to Teach...

I have had many opportunities to teach this semester. One of my favorite experiences has been teaching some lectures, using powerpoint, about British History to the Senior English Majors. I have been giving them brief surveys of the history of Britain so they can understand the authors that they are reading. Recently I gave a presentation on C.S. Lewis. There is so much information on him and I did not feel I did justice to his life story. I only touched the tip of the iceburg. It was very interesting and I found lots and lots of pictures. Here is one of my favorite:

The students are now reading the "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." I reread it and it has been fun to read it again. Every time I read the book I discover something new. It is a treat. During my presentation I shared some of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes and I thought I would share them with all of you as well...

“Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen.” - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

“Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.”

“God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.”

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."

“You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.”

Before I sign off I have to mention the fact that the great C.S. and I share the same last name! I do feel a measure of pride to carry on the great Lewis legacy! I can allow myself to at least dream that there is some distant (however far off) familial relation somewhere in our family trees!

Until next time...

No comments: