"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

True Worship: What is it?


The semester is coming to an end and there are only about four Monday night devotions left. So the last theme that I am talking about is worship. Last night I shared Romans 12:1-2 which talks about presenting our lives as living sacrificies, holy, and pleasing to God as our act of worship. Worship is a lifestyle. Not something I just do in church, or chapel, or when I pray. It is an action and it is the way I live. I used the example of an alarm clock. I set my alarm clock to get up in the morning and turn it off when I get up. But worship is not like that - it is not something I turn on or put on during certain times of the week and then turn off during other times. In order to push my point I stood in the middle of the room and said "worship is not just something we do in chapel or in devotions (and I jumped to one side) and then when we stop praying or walk out of chapel we are done worshipping and can do whatever we want like drink a lot or be too physical with our boyfriends or talk bad about friends or etc. (and I jumped to another side of the room - it was a small jump)" Many of the Christian students have a hard time realizing that they can not compartamentalize their life and give God parts of it and be their own god over other parts of it. The beautifual and yet despairing part of this is that we can't worship God without Jesus. Jesus gave us the ability to be able to worship him and I ended with the hope that when we discover the grace of God joy flows forth from our actions which is true worship. The Holy Spirit was speaking to my heart as well. So I am excited about how the Spirit will speak to all of us as we explore the theme of worship.

No comments: