"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Major Achievement

So today I was very proud of myself. I ordered take out from my favorite Chinese restaurant (The seafood restaurant, talked about in a prior post) by myself in Chinese. Ok, so I did not speak in complete sentences but used enough words so that the cook and the waitress could understand me. When you live in a foreign country it is important to know the phrase for "take out." Anyway, I was pretty thrilled. Having no opportunity for language learning in Chinese I just simply don't know much. Students and teachers who are fluent just do the talking when we are out. But today I marched down, in the down pouring rain mind you, and ordered my food. So yes it's the only dish I know how to say in Chinese and I am sure my tones were extremely off (hint the owner of the restaurant had a huge smile on his face as I tried to communicate) but I got the food, it was great, and I spoke Chinese (even if it was only a few words!) So I thought that I would share this achievement with all of those who have been or lived in a foreign country and understand what it is like to try and speak a different language.

Until next time...

2 comments:

amanda said...

That is HUGE accomplishment!! You have every right to be VERY proud of yourself!! WOOHOO!!!!

Jennifer said...

I totally know how how you feel. You should be proud of yourself. I am still waiting for the day when I can do that myself.