"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Exploring Taipei City...

The last few days have been a whirlwind. I have seen, tasted, smelled, and experienced many new things. Thursday night some of the team took me to the night market in Jinjuan and we had bing. Bing is a dessert that is a mix between ice cream and shaved ice. Ann Lyle (one of the MTW missionaries) and I split a mango bing which had fresh mango on it. It was really good. Here is a picture of Ann and I at the bing shop.

The night market was crowded with people and vendors. But I was told that it is 100 times more crowded on the weekends - that is hard to believe. The vendors were selling all sorts of foods like stinky tofu which smells like fermented wet socks and no I don't plan to try it. I am willing to try almost anything but I draw the line with tofu that is black, wreaks and has furry hair. I hope to go to the night markets again and explore more as I live in Taipei.
Today I went with Mable (a graduate from Christ's College) to Danshui (a suburb of Taipei city and close to Christ's College) and we walked along the streets. There were lots and lots of people and stores and vendors. I saw octopus on a stick and lots of different colored egges. One of the delicacies on these streets are fish balls - fish wrapped in pastry and then boiled in water. I just took in all the smells today but I do plan on trying some of the food once my body has time to transition. Here are some pictures I took during our little trip.



So far I am enjoying my time here. The MTW team has been welcoming and encouraging. Tonight we had a meal with many of the team members. Mable cooked us some sweet potato leaves, rice and meat. It was very good. All of the American professors live on campus and close to one another so I don't think I will have a problem with loneliness because there will be at least one person to hang out with.

Well, as I get ready to go to bed most of you are just waking up and getting ready for your day. I hope that it is a great one.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hey Amanda! Glad I found your blog (from Suzanne Chapell, my sister's friend). Praise God you are working at Christ's College! Having worked with the Lyles in the summer of '01, that campus is near to my heart. Isn't the scenery breathtaking? I hope your English workshops are going well and students are learning English as well as taking in the gospel. Say hello to Ann and Joe Lyle for me! God bless!