"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Week in Malaysia

Last night we returned from our conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia also known as just KL. The retreat was great on many levels and also challenging in many ways. There is so much to write about and I just don't know where to start. So I here I go...

Well, the hotel was located next to the largest mosque in Malaysia and I think it might be the largest mosque in Southeast Asia anyway it is big. It is called the blue mosque. I had mixed feelings when some friends and I walked around it. The building is incredible in an architectural way - the dome is huge and has beautiful caligraphy on it. However, my heart wept and I felt angry because of what the mosque represents. I have come to learn in my few years on earth that the enemy uses things that are beautiful and pleasing to the eye and seem that they will do no harm to attack us. This is true in my own life. Most of the time, idols and things that turn into addictions and sins do not appear dangerous or harmful. Anyway, it was an eye opening experience to visit a country where Islam is the official religion. In Malaysia other religions are allowed and celebrated but Islam is the official religion. For some reason that I can not explain my heart felt compassion for the Malay people. The Lord is doing great things through our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ in KL and other parts of Malaysia and Indonesia. Here is a picture of the mosque and the gate surrounding the mosque. We were able to go in the grounds but not in the buildings main area. There are many rules that a person has to follow in order to enter the mosque.




The conference itself was encouraging. I met many MTW missionaries that I did not know and learned about church plants and projects that are going on in many parts of the Asia and Pacific Area. I was also able to see some old friends - some from college and some from trainings that I have gone to over the past few years. The fellowship was encouraging. Here are some pictures of friends and the fellowship times.


These are some Taiwan team members: Becky, Judy, and Brenda.

Hanging out with some old friends: Dana and Melanie of the Thailand team.

These are a few things that I took away from the conference: I am weak and not able to do ministry on my own and I need God who is strong. I am a lousy Christian, a lousy sister, a lousy daughter, and a lousy friend BUT God loves me, God loves me, God loves me, God loves me and this is most demonstrated in Jesus Christ. I may rest NOW and in the future in His love. Those who are with us (Christians) are greater than those who are with them - meaning if God is for me then who can be against me and win, even Satan is under God's dominion - this is encouraging when I feel battered by fear, worry, and the past. The last truth that really hit home for me this week was God loves me because He loves me not because of what I do or what I look like or even how filthy my heart is. He chose me and loves me because He is God - Wow, and you also can rest in this truth.

One day we had as a time to explore the area and a group of us went to a forest in KL to explore the natural settings of Malaysia. The hike was long and it took about five hours to hike up and down the entire thing and get lost a few times! We also found this amazing tea house as we finished our hike. It had just opened a few weeks before and it was a good place to have refreshment. I really enjoyed this time.

This is bamboo and it was so thick in diameter. Really neat stuff.


Yes that is us in a giant tree root and we are being swallowed by it!

My birthday was on Sunday during the conference and I am not sure who told my friends that it was my birthday but they found out and had a little surprise party for me. I felt loved and it was fun. There was a Starbucks near our hotel that had free internet access and good coffee (as many of you know!) and they surprised me there. It was fun.

From right to left: Dana, me, Melanie, Bonnie, Matt, and Mary Bell in front.


All in all it was fun but now I have spent 7 days in Taiwan and 7 days in Malaysia so I feel a bit exhausted from all the travel and cultural transition. I find myself trying to remember everything I learned from the first week about living in Taiwan. School starts tomorrow with convocation and I will be introduced with all of the teachers so that the students will know who I am. I have been helping in the dorm this morning and all the students seem excited about seeing their friends (honestly most of them were speaking Chinese so it seemed like they were excited!) I on the other hand am nervous and it seems like everything that I heard last week at the conference just escaped my mind this morning as I began to think of starting the school year and the work that God has planned for me this year. My faith is being challenged. I am trying to take each hour, each moment as it comes because there are so many new things to learn and new people to meet. Please pray that I will be bold and interact in the culture and with the students even though it might mean making cultural mistakes. My tendency is to hold back in fear of embarassment. I am trying to cling to many of the "fear not" statements in the Bible right now.

Well, until next time...

No comments: