"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Saturday, September 29, 2007

School days...

Well the first week of school is finished. The students are all back on campus and activities are beginning to start. This semester I will be in charge of starting a writing center which will be in existence to help students with their writing, English speaking, research, or any homework help that they need with their English classes. For the past few days I have cleaned and rearranged furniture to get the room ready for next week's official opening. I am concerned that students will not come but that pressure is on the Lord. I just have to be willing to serve Him and He will give me the wisdom of how to run His center. Pray that I will be able to be patient with the students that know little English and some that have learning disabilities. I truly want to love and encourage these students. Many of them have grown up in families and in schools where they received little encouragement and love. First and foremost I want to somehow communicate that God loves them and they are precious in His sight. There are ways to do this even without words and that is what I want to do.

This week has been full of ups and downs. Trying to think of ways to meet students who are extremely shy and afraid to make mistakes with their limited English. Lori (another intern) and I are brainstorming ideas for activities. Lori lives in the girls dorm and has already had visitors to her room and she is making friends. I am having a little more difficulty because I do not live in the dorm and the students will probably see me more as a teacher than as a friend. I really don't want this but I will see how it goes.

Last night the student council had some activities for the freshman. They did skits and introduced all of the different clubs. There was dancing and lots of loud American music. The funniest skit was when two senior guys dressed up in girl's cheerleading uniforms and did a full out routine dance. It was really well done and hilarious. These students love to have fun and be silly. This morning the freshmen are playing games and getting to know each other better. Tomorrow they are going to the beach for a picnic and some fun.

Next week I will start working during the official hours of the writing center and begin to try and start relationships with some girls. I also am leading a discipleship group on Tuesday nights and that begins this coming week. This is also a prayer request. I will write more about this later on.

Until next time...

No comments: