"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Haircut

I was in dire need of a haircut - only one problem: I have only gotten my hair cut by two people in my entire life and they both spoke good Southern English! Well, I had a faith experience a few weeks ago. I went with another missionary to the hairstylist that she uses. It was an experience - and to my delight a good one. First, the "hair guy" shampooed and massaged my head for like thirty minutes or more (not exaggerating). Then he washed my hair and gave me some kind of eye wash treatment that felt good and weird at the same time. Then came the moment of truth: the actual haircut. The girl was really good and the other missionary (Becky) told her in good Chinese how I wanted my cut. I was relieved. All this to say that I realized through this somewhat silly experience that God does care about the small things in life. I really was nervous about this and it was a huge comfort zone breaking experience for me.

About everything I do here is a culturally different experience for me. I am constantly having to try and do new things and to trust in God. My value and my worth comes from Him alone in His love through Jesus Christ not through how well I know Chinese or how well I am adjusting to this unique culture or how many or few cultural mistakes I make.

No comments: