"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Friday, October 19, 2007

This week...

So a lot has gone on this week that I would like to update and share.

Writing Center: The W.C. is really starting to get going. I had at least twenty students come this week so far to get help on various homework assignments from writing to pronunciation in English. I really enjoy working with students one-on-one. A few students have weekly appointments so we are working on developing their English skills and I can already see an improvement. Since they have to speak English to me it forces them to practice.

English Dorm: May, Grace, Lori, and I (the leaders of the English dorm) have started a Monday Night devotion night for the Enlgish dorm. The English dorm is compromised of 42 girls who live on the same hall and strive to speak English (in reality it is harder than on paper). We had our first activity this Wed. and only three people showed up so we are going back to the drawing board. Please pray for the girls, for us leaders, and for ideas on how we can unify the group and get them involved and excited about being a part of the English Dorm.

Discipleship Class: This week I had the opportunity to lead the Discipleship Class in a worship song - Be To Our God. It was the first time in almost a year that I have played the guitar and led music. I truly enjoyed it and plan to play more. Also, with the D-class I lead a small group of 5 girls on Monday nights and we talk about the concepts taught in the class. I struggle sometimes in leading this group b/c they do not talk much and I have to speak in simple words and sometimes that is difficult. However, I believe the pressure is on the Lord to take my willingness and efforts and cultivate the seeds He plants into the hearts of Erika, Ivy, Cynthia, Mei-Ying, and Tina.
Some fun things I did this week:

I led my first evening devotion for room 808. I talked about the amazing and intimate love of God and what that means for us. I shared a part of my testimony in college when I couldn't play soccer b/c I was hurt for most of the four years. Looking back I realize God wasn't punishing me He was loving me b/c He was helping me realize that I had been putting my worth and value in soccer - something that is not dependable instead of resting in the life I have through Jesus. We had a fun time. I hope the girls understood. One of the girls spoke very good English and interpreted some of the words. Pray that the Lord will bring these students to know Him and to more closer communion and growth in Him.

Picture of night devotions:
On Monday Night we had a team dinner at our team leader's house. It was great. I enjoyed not cooking! One of the team members, Jim Gray, is a great chef and he made salmon with vegetables in a butter sauce. I enjoyed the fellowship.


I wanted to list some funny things that I have experienced in Taiwan and that sound silly having grown up in America:

"I spent 100 dollars on dinner, that was cheap." - I still have to think about this for a minute, the exchange rate is 30 to 1 so 30 NT dollars is one US dollar so 100 NT dollars is 3 bucks. I spent 30NT on a meal once which is basically a dollar US - and it was good. I will miss that when I get back.

Having no garbage disposal, so having to collect my food trash in a plastic bag that I keep in the refrigerator until it is full and then treking across campus and dumping it in a large container.

The elevator/classical music that almost every grocery store plays. I feel like I am at a concert hall or a funeral sometimes.

All of the motor scooters that are everywhere - and seeing how many people can fit on one - I have seen four people on one little scooter.

The haircut styles are sooooooo funny. It is hard not to laugh out loud while talking to some of the students with "expressive" hairstyles.

The types of food here never gets dull. I am always discovering a different and unique food. I did not know that their were so many ways of preparing squid for instance.
There is never a dull moment here. Lots of laughter and learning.
Until next time...

No comments: