"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Prayer Requests and Challenges

I would like to describe some of the prayer requests that I have as I am working and doing ministry in Taiwan at Christ's College.
1. The school is in a transition year. The Ministry of Education of Taiwan is evaluating the school and in order for the college to get its approval many things have to happen. This approval is important for accredidation and getting new students to come to the college. However, the fear among a lot of the staff and faculty is that being under the MOE will put pressure on the school for having a faith-based curriculum and for having things like chapel, devotions, and other required spiritual elements. Wisdom and trusting in God's hand in this situation are needed.
2. The president of the school is retiring so a search committee is being formed to select another president. This is a crucial decision. The school is in a crucial time and needs good leadership and with a strong vision of Christ's College.
3. Lori and I have encountered some hard situations as we are trying to get to know the students. There are some rules being broken and we have to report the students when we see them breaking the few major rules. I have had to confront a few students and I fear that this will compromise our friendships that are just starting. This is a shame based culture so I feel I need to be very careful about how I handle these situations. Telling the truth in love is really hard. Lori and I are in an awkward situation because we are not teachers and we want to be the students friends however, we are also on staff. We walk a fine line which is hard to stay on. Please pray for patience and wisdom and God's hand in this situation.
4. Language barrier: I have set-up some times with national Taiwanese for some Chinese lessons. I really want to be able to at least converse in basic Chinese with people. I know that when I show an effort in speaking Chinese it really breaks down a wall between me and the other person. I can't really explain it.
5. The Writing Center: Some days there are so many students that I am overwhelmed and some days no one comes. This is a hard problem.
6. Opportunities to teach: I may have the opportunity to teach next semester and I am torn about this. Part of me is excited and wants to do it and part of me is scared to death because I have no experience and have taken no "how to teach" classes.

These describe some of the challenges as well as prayer concerns that I am experiencing right now.

Thanks to everyone who is praying and for all the support.

Until next time...

No comments: