"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Surviving a typhoon...

Last weekend a massive category 5 typhoon swept through Taiwan. A typhoon is just another name for a hurricane. The winds picked up to about 160 mph and it rained for literally 48 hours straight. There was some flooding in my apartment and the wind sounded really fierce but the buildings here are made of pure concrete to endure typhoons. This being an island people can't just flee the storm like many do in the US when a hurricane hits. So there was not too much damage just a lot of leaves and branches strewn everywhere.

Well, I was a bit concerned seeing that this was my first typhoon experience but some of the students came over and we had a movie and sushi making party. So while the storm raged outside we were having fun in my little apartment. It was a great time of fellowship and getting to know some of the girls. We watched the movie Dreamer - about a girl and her horse and they all really liked it. Then they taught me and Lori how to make sushi. Here is a video of the storm and some pictures of our little party.


The video does not do justice to the storm but it might give you an idea.
Some pictures of our sushi party.


The girls gave me a lesson on how to make sushi. I think I did pretty good. No one died or got sick!

Here a picture of the aftermath of the lovely typhoon.


All in all it was an adventure and an experience I will never forget. However, one typhoon is enough for me.

Until next time...

No comments: