"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
~ Isaiah 40: 11

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Night Market

Yesterday was Taiwan's national day. On 10/10 the country celebrates its independence from... who, I am not sure, since China is still officially over Taiwan. But anyway, it's an excuse to have a day off from work and have some fun. Some students took us to the Shilin night market. We tried all sorts of different foods like, Japanese rice balls, pai deng soup (it is a Chinese medicinal soup that is supposed to make you stronger) basically, it is a bunch of little pork chops in a broth that tastes like cinammon (not bad). I also tried stinky tofu. I had made up my mind that I was not going to try it but peer pressure got the best of me and I tasted it. I should have stuck with my first instinct. To be polite to most of the Tiawanese people who like the stuff it just was not for me. It smelled horrific and tasted like it smelled.

Here are some pictures of are trip. The students I went with were great. All in all it was a blast.


I had a great time. Taiwan is so different - the smells, the food, the people, almost everything is a new experience. I am excited that the students are gaining courage and inviting us to do things with them. I am enjoying getting to know them. I hope some opportunities to share the Gospel will blossom out of spending time with them and helping them with their studies.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Lori Joy said...

peer pressure, HA!;)
Your face was the best when you tried the tofu. Definitely not something I will try to accumulate a taste for!